“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance” -Oscar Wilde
Think about this for a moment; the most meaningful relationship we’ll ever have is with ourselves. You are, after all, the person you spend every moment with, the person who knows all your secrets and desires, the person who cares for every part of you—physically, mentally, and spiritually. So why should we not also nurture ourselves romantically—why shouldn’t you fall madly in love with yourself?
We, as humans, are drawn to love; it is in our nature. We love our family, our children, our significant other, friends and pets. And we show our love to others by showering them with affection, attention, care, and occasional indulgences. So why don’t we do the same for ourselves? The most valuable relationship we have is often left a little neglected.
So here’s a proposition, nay, a challenge: shower yourself with affection, attention, care, and (yes please) occasional indulgences. Show yourself some of that nourishing love that you so freely show to others. Fall in love with yourself.
Now, let’s be clear—this is easier said than done—hence, the challenge. But won’t the end goal be so worth it?!
Let the challenge begin!Here are a few tips to help you get started on your journey to self-love—
- Start by learning to like yourself first. Allow yourself the same grace you award others and forgive yourself of inevitable faults, flaws, and setbacks. Remember that like comes before love.
- Work on you. Set some time aside to work on the flaws and faults that you need to address, and make room for healthy habits—become someone you can fall in love with.
- Flirt with yourself. Therapists call this “positive self-talk.” Next time you pass a mirror, take a nice long glance and give yourself a much deserved compliment—“dang you look cute today!”
- Dress up, just for you. Get that new dress you’ve been eying and let yourself radiate beauty and confidence—even if it’s just for you.
- Pamper yourself. Buy yourself flowers. Light a candle and have a relaxing soak with a luxurious bath bomb. Sit by the fire and read or listen to calming music—be romantic.
- Surround yourself with Love. Love grows exponentially. The more you have, the more you give; the more you give, the more you receive, and so on and so forth. Make sure you’re surrounding yourself with this positive force.
- Be Kind. Show kindness to yourself and to others, always. A Kind soul is easy to love.
There’s a lot of chatter out there about ’self-love.’ We all want to have it, yet it can seem difficult to find. But isn’t finding true love always a bit complicated and oftentimes challenging? Yet we continue to seek it—true love. Perhaps the truest love we can ever know is the love we have for ourselves; perhaps that is what we should all be seeking.